Friday, September 19, 2008

Prayer Request

This prayer request is from the heart… no, for the heart… umm, about the heart. I don’t know how to say it. Seriously though, if you don’t already know, back in February, I developed a case of Lone Atrial Fibrillation. That basically means that my heart throws an extra beat out there once in a while. It’s not really serious and is actually very common. The doctors don’t know what caused it and believe that it is just a one-time freak thing but I still need to get it fixed. How you say? With paddles. You know the paddles that they use to jump start a heart and where they yell “clear!” so no one accidentally gets electrocuted. Yeah, those. I think they reverse the polarity or something… I hope. Anyway, in about 30 days or so I’ll be having the procedure, called a Cardioversion, done. It only takes about 3 minutes but I will have to be completely out to do it and it has to be done at the hospital. I wanted to be awake for the shock so I could experience it and then write about but they won’t let me. Mainly it’s because the heart is more ‘stable’ when you’re asleep; it had nothing to do with the intense pain that the shock will cause. I have also started a new medication that could possibly (1 in 3 odds) correct my heart rate as well as my heart rhythm. If it works, no paddles!

Anyway, here’s my prayer request: first, that the new meds work and nothing else has to be done; if not, that the subsequent procedure goes well. Also, please pray that God takes away any of the anxiety or the worry that my family and I may have.

Thanks,

- fletch

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, I was thinking about that heart issue recently. Prayers, you got it. by the way nice blog too I like reading up on stuff. I think it is kinda like reality tv but only reading.We miss you all.

Anonymous said...

We miss you, too! Hope all is going well.

Jo said...

Jim,
You will be in our prayers. I hope the medicine works and nothing else is needed.
Miss all of you.
Jo